Monday, April 1, 2013

I Heart NYC

It's harder to find better dressed people than those you will see in New York City. Business men in their tweed blazers and Gucci loafers walking briskly to a meeting, young fashionistas attempting to walk in 7-inch heels down the sidewalks all while carrying a Prada bag the size of a small gorilla, small children in newsboy caps and tiny little vests and oxford shirts being pushed around by a nanny in a $3,000 stroller from Italy....it truly is the city of style. And not just necessarily preppy style either; Manhattan tends to be the borough of the preps, while Brooklyn is where the hipsters thrive. Whatever your taste may be, you can find it living well there.



I recently went to NYC for the third time with my mom and one of my very hipster best friends (they say opposites attract, right??), and just had the greatest time. There is just simply something magical about that place. And while I feel absolutely exuberant among my preppy peers in Manhattan, my bestie loves the Brooklyn scene (no judgement here, its an awesome place! If you're ever in the area, be sure to check out Elizabeth Falkner's Krescendo;  she makes absolutely the best pizza I have ever eaten!)

The thing I think I love most about New Yorkers and their style is that they express themselves in ways many other people in other places might not, for fear of being looked at funny or sneered at. But thats what I love about it! A man mixing a striped blazer, hot pink oxford and polka dot bowtie? Why not! I've even recently seen women jumping on the bowtie bandwagon...I may have to try that one before too long! Here are a couple of my favorite outfits seen out and about in NYC:



Photo Credit to Fred Castleberry of Unabashedly Prep

I am personally loving the trend of women in menswear, with a feminine twist of course. A navy blazer with gold buttons tailored to fit perfectly, or a oxford shirt with scallop detail at the neck (can be purchased here), or large men's style watches....I love it all. Add a strand of pearls, put on some heels, wear your hair down, and you're all set! 


The beautiful Carly Heitlinger of The College Prepster. Photo Credit to Fred Castleberry.


Another thing I love about NYC is that, for the most part, the style there is timeless. Despite the modern twists of a bright gingham shirt or the kelly green cords, the folks of that city know what it means to buy a piece of clothing that will last a lifetime. Which is, in a round-about way, being frugal. Seeing clothing as an investment will make your wardrobe choices much smarter, stylish and practical. 

 .

The marvelous Fred Castleberry. Photo Credit to Joshua Woods.

Have you ever been to New York? What were your fashion encounters there? I would love to hear! 

Much love,

cRm



No comments:

Post a Comment